“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive. Because what the world needs most is more people who have come alive.” Howard Thurman
That's me in the middle with my two older brothers beside me
Societal conditioning makes many of us chase money, success, status, and material possessions. But I’d argue what we truly desire is NONE of these things.
Sure, we need money and possessions to live in this world, yet these things can go only so far to fill our soul’s yearning to feel truly alive.
Here is a list of 50 random things that makes me feel alive!
1. Travelling and exploring new places
2. Stimulating conversations
4. Spending time in silence and solitude
5. The feel of the cool wind on my face
6. Reading a good book or a magazine
8. Laughing out loud with people
9. Listening to music I love
11. Riding a scooter
12. Hanging out with friends
13. Cold showers
14. Being exposed to new and interesting ideas
15. Playing sports (football, cricket and Table tennis)
16. Having a good meal
17. Connecting with new people
18. Seeing beautiful architecture (especially old European style buildings)
20. Spending time in nature
21. Doing Pranayama / deep breathing
22. Dancing to 70s disco music (though I am a terrible dancer)
23. Going through old photos
Here's something for you to laugh at my expense. That's me in the middle with my hippie kurta. ( This pic was taken back when I was in college)
24. Gazing at a starry sky
25. Live concerts
26. Being on the beach
28. Smiles from strangers
29. Jamming and recording music with friends
30. Playing with dogs
31. Songwriting (though I have only ever written a couple of songs)
32. Recalling fond memories
33. Making people laugh
34. Walking outside
35. Playing guitar
36. Watching movies with outstanding acting
38. Getting wet in the rain
39. Visiting historical places / museums
40. Long phone calls with friends
41. Looking at a beautiful piece of art
42. Reading emails from readers of my blog whom I’ve never met
43. Playing FIFA on the PlayStation with my elder brother
44. Day dreaming on purpose
45. Watching the videos on this playlist
46. Being in a library or a bookstore
47. Getting up early morning when it’s quiet and everyone else is asleep
48. Learning about new things (through TED Talks, documentaries, podcasts)
49. The smell of scented candles
50. Getting lost in a good story
What are some of the things that make you feel alive? Do you make time to do a few of these things daily? I’d encourage you to take some time to write down your own list.
If you liked this post, please share it with others— I'd really appreciate it.
For simple and practical wisdom on how to live better and be happier, enter your email below to join the mailing list.
Check out the Best Articles from the site here.